Friday, May 29, 2009

Jason’s Weekly Slice: Life in and around Abu Dhabi


I woke up this morning at the rather abrupt end to my dream cycle. I opened the curtains and noticed something from the distant past: a pale orange light just beginning to appear in the east, just beyond the small mosque, still lit up in garish florescent green- a color symbolic in Islam for paradise. I haven’t been up for the first light of the day in what has seemed months. I took advantage of this ephemeral window of opportunity, putting on my running clothes in the pale morning light. I ran through our mostly Emirati neighborhood to Corniche al Qurm, a highly manicured running path with Al Salaam St on one side, and a forest of black mangroves and a saltwater tidal lagoon on the other. Only a few others were up with me, white robes swishing past me as I ran in the opposite direction. From what I have noted, Arabs tend to stay out late with the whole family, coming out with the moon, not the blazing hot Arabian sun.

Sometimes it takes getting up a bit earlier than I’m used to reconnect; to realize that I am in my prime in the morning hours. Wide-eyed. Clear-headed. Or as close as I’ll likely get. One of my minor epiphanies on this morning mangrove run was that I am not using my extra time allotted me as a childless, part-time therapist living abroad to its fullest. I will be resuscitating a weekly blog, which has been in a coma for months now. The concept in short is to attempt to capture moments in life overseas. Literary snapshots. I have had numerous experiences traveling recently in Syria and Lebanon, Oman, and here in the UAE which reminded me how much I used to enjoy writing. There. It’s done. I’ve written it in cyberspace. Now I’m accountable to at least a couple family members or friends who may read this.

I will plan on updating this blog every Friday, the holy day of rest for Muslims, and therefore a day in which I am even more likely to encounter some free time. I hope you enjoy. If not, I will.

6 comments:

Levi Smylie said...

yay!

Claudia said...

Hooray for updates! And may I commend you on your recognition of this child-free, (relatively) care-free time of life when you might actually have the ability to recognize to wonder of the world around you, rather than spending your brain power figuring out the cheapest source of huggies.

Rachelle said...

I love your writing style, I felt like I was on that morning run with you! Thanks for the update, love ya,
Rachelle

Mombarry said...

So happy you are writing again! Always interesting and entertaining to read your blogs! Thanks for starting back again.

Scottro said...

It was great talking to you the other day. I bet I talked to you right after your run. I'm happy to read your stuff. I love your photographs. You're really an amazing person; It's a pleasure to be a part of your life.

scuz said...

finally! im excited you're blogging again!you BETTER do it more often